The transport department in Delhi has mandated vehicle owners to install high security registration plates (HSRP) and colour-coded fuel stickers for all the vehicles sold before April 2019. Vehicles registered after April 2019 come equipped with HSRP and the stickers.There are approximately 30 lakh existing vehicles in the national capital that are required to be affixed with HSRP and colour- coded stickers. The transport department has been running a ‘limited’ drive to challan and impose a fine of Rs 5,500 on vehicle owners violating the mandatory HSRP and colour-coded sticker norm. Violators in Delhi can be fined up to Rs 10,000, which is compoundable to Rs 5,500 under the amended MV Act.
The unique High-Security Registration plate shall be linked electronically to the vehicle after its affixture on the vehicle on registration. The website for the booking of HSRP and colour-coded sticker was revamped in November 2020. Now a user can apply through a single window for both the HSRP and Colour Coded Sticker.
What is HSRP?
HSRP is a chromium-based hologram applied by hot stamping on the number plates both at the front and back, besides laser-branding of a permanent identification number.
What are colour-coded stickers?
The colour-coded or fuel stickers are meant for identifying vehicles based on their fuel type.The background for Colour-Coded Stickers for diesel vehicles shall be Orange, Light Blue for the Petrol and CNG vehicles and grey for all other vehicles. The vehicles complying with BS-VI norms to have a green stripe at the top of the 3rd registration plate/ colour coded sticker.
These colour-coded stickers have details like the registration number, the registering authority, a laser-branded PIN, and the engine and chassis numbers of the vehicle.
How to apply for HSRP and colour-coded sticker: A step-by-step guide
1) Log on to bookmyhsrp.com
2) Click on the option – High Security Registration Plate with Colour Sticker.
3) Select Vehicle Make – Four Wheeler.
4) Select the brand of your car.
5) Select the state – Delhi, UP, Himachal Pradesh
6) Choose from the two options – Private or Commercial Vehicle.
7) Select Fuel Type – Petrol/Diesel/CNG/Electric.
8) Fill the required details of the vehicle for booking an appointment.
9) You can get the HSRP delivered at home, or visit the dealer/centre and collect the same.
10) Choose the date and time from the available slots.
11) Make the payment online and you will get the acknowledgement receipt.
Grievance or queries related to HSRP, colour-coded stickers
Earlier, the Supreme Court of India had instructed all the states to ensure the affixation of HSRP and Colour Coded Stickers on vehicles for increased security and easy identification of fuel types.