Indian Railways has introduced more vistadome coaches for passengers! Recently, two luxurious vistadome coaches have been introduced by the South Western Railway zone on Express trains between Bengaluru and Mangaluru. This particular train route carries special importance because it traverses through the Western Ghats which offers breathtaking glimpses of mountains, valleys, gorges and greenery.
“See-through Vistodome coaches to offer breathtaking views of Western Ghats! Train No:06540 Mangaluru Junction – Yesvanpur Special augmented with 2 new Vistadome coaches,” Southern Railway tweeted.
What are Vistadome coaches?
The Vistadome coaches run mostly in tourist locations. So far, some of the routes where these coaches are being operated by the Indian Railways are Kashmir Valley, Darjeeling, Kalka, Mumbai-Pune route and Statue of Unity in Kevadiya, Gujarat.
Railway minister Ashwini Vaishnaw tweeted a video and wrote: “Vistadome coaches for the first time in SWR are introduced on the picturesque Yesvantpur – Mangaluru Jn route! Take a look at the exciting features of the coach.”
Features of Vistadome coaches
- Seats are rotatable 180 degrees.
- Wide, large windows offer a clear close-up view to the passengers.
- The Vistadome coach has been manufactured by Integral Coach Factory, Chennai on the LHB (Linke-Hoffman-Busch platform/technology).
- There are glass rooftops which offer views of the sky to the passengers.
- These rooftops have anti glare screens too.
- The coach is equipped with CCTV surveillance, fire safety systems, LED display,
- There is a facility of mini pantry with oven and refrigerator
- Multi-tiered steel luggage shelves.
- Mobile charging socket on each seat.
- ‘Content-on-demand’ viewable by passengers.
- The coach is equipped with automatic sliding doors and bio-toilets.
- The seats have foldable snack tables, similar to what is given in aircrafts.
- There is also a space, sort of lounge provided at the far end of the coach with a large viewing window.
According to media reports, tickets for a train journey on this route are expected to cost around Rs 1,670 per head.