Amid the spike in Covid-19 cases, new curbs have been put in place in Mumbai. The Uddhav Thackeray-led Maharashtra government has announced a slew of new coronavirus guidelines including lockdowns across various regions in the state. Restrictions were put in place in Amravati and Yavatmal to contain the spread of the novel coronavirus. A 10-day lockdown was announced in Yavatmal, a weekend lockdown from 8 pm on Saturday to 7 am on Monday was imposed in Amravati.
On Thursday, Maharashtra reported 5,427 new COVID-19 cases, the state health department said. The total count of coronavirus cases in the state stands at 20,81,520 including 19,87,804 recovered cases. The state has 40,858 active cases.
After the spurt in cases, the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) also released a set of new Covid-related guidelines for Mumbai.
Fresh guidelines issued for Mumbai
1) Any residential building with more than five active Covid-19 cases will be sealed.
2) Citizens flouting rules of home isolation, weddings and public gatherings will face prosecution.
3) Travellers coming to Mumbai from Brazil will need to compulsorily undergo seven days of institutional quarantine
4) Hands of those directed to undergo home quarantine will be stamped.
5) 300 marshals will be appointed to act against those not wearing masks in trains
6) To keep a check on passengers not wearing masks, the number of marshals will be doubled from 2,400 to 4,800.
7) Police personnel have been authorised to fine citizens not wearing masks.
8) Regular checks will be conducted at halls, wedding venues etc. to ensure full compliance with norms. Violation of any rule, guidelines say, will lead to action against the organisers, as well as the concerned management officials.
Meanwhile, the daily new cases of coronavirus in the country climbed to over 13,000 after 19 days taking India’s Covid-19 tally to 1,09,63,394. The death toll increased to 1,56,111 with 97 daily new fatalities, the data updated by the Health ministry at 8 am showed. There are 1,39,542 active cases of coronavirus infections in the country. 87% of the daily new cases are from 6 states.