Lost your PAN card? Need to apply for a fresh one? Worry not as gone are the days when getting any document from a government office was a big task. Although losing your PAN card could be worrisome as the document is very important, but the Income Tax department has made it much easier to get all your necessary documents, including PAN card registration, done online. In fact, those who have an Aadhaar Card can apply for PAN through their registered mobile number and get their instant PAN card or e-PAN card in just 10 minutes.
If you have lost your PAN card, you can request for reprint for a new one from the official website of National Securities Depository Limited (NSDL), which issues the PAN cards.
Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman had introduced a new facility in Budget 2020 where individuals can get instant Permanent Account Number (PAN) through their Aadhaar without having to submit a detailed application form. The facility was introduced to ease the PAN allotment process for individuals. You can obtain the instant e-PAN for free in just 10 minutes in a soft copy format.
Instant e-PAN is equivalent to the PAN card
Instant e-PAN is equivalent to the PAN card you get after filling the detailed application form.
PAN card is mandatory for several purposes like paying income tax, filing income tax returns (ITR), opening a bank account or a Demat account. You can use this e-PAN for all these purposes the same way as you do with the traditional PAN card.
What is e-PAN?
e-PAN is a digitally signed PAN card that is based on the e-KYC of the Aadhaar. It must be noted only those who have a valid Aadhaar card can avail this facility. The e-PAN is issued in PDF format.
How to apply for e-PAN:
1) Visit the Income Tax department portal
2) On the homepage, click on the option to Apply for e-PAN
3) On the new page, select the option that reads ‘Get New e-PAN’
4) Fill in the required details like Aadhaar number, mobile number and date of birth
5) Generate OTP
6) You will get an OTP on the registered mobile number, enter it and then press the submit.
How to check the status of e-PAN:
1)Visit the Income Tax department portal
2) Click on the e-PAN related tab
3) Select the option ‘Check Status/ Download PAN’
4) Enter your Aadhaar number and verify it with OTP sent to the registered mobile number
5) Your PAN status will be on your screen.
6) If it is ready, you’ll get a download option for the e-PAN card.